Monday, May 14, 2012

The Clown Clouser



The Clown Clouser

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I use to be a tournament bass angler! Memories of jigging tubes and walking zara spooks for big bass still invade my dreams and at heart I think I will always be a tourney angler even if I never participate in a another tournament again. During those days, I used a variety of jerkbaits, and one particular jerkbait that always produced -- when of course the fish wanted it, that is -- was the Clown by Rapala. This jerkbait worked for bass, pike, muskie, walleye and anything else that would hit a jerkbait-style lure.

I can remember many stinkin' hot summer days when nothing would bite, only to have the clown talk one or two fish into taking a nibble. And during a tournament on a hot summer's day, one or two fish may have just been enough to take first place!

Skip ahead a few lifetimes and here I am:  a dedicated fly angler.  There are times when I think back to my tournament days and I am reminded of Rapala's Clown jerkbait. And well, I figured I may as well get busy and tie a few to see how they work! 


Since my intended targets for this fly are bass and walleye, it was a no brainer (at least to me) that this fly would be tied Clouser style. This is a variation on the clown colors; it is not an exact replication. After playing around with a few dressings, I have arrived at this particular dressing as the one that is most preferred by bass and walleye. 

Tie a few up and let me know how you get on with it!

Happy tying!
Nikki


The Clown Clouser
Hook: Saltwater 2 - 4/0
Thread: Danville's Flymaster Plus 210 Denier, Red 
Eyes: Large lead chartreuse 
Tail: Yellow Finn Raccoon with yellow holographic Flashabou
Sides: Blue Finn raccoon tied on each side directly behind the lead eyes
Belly: White Finn raccoon
Wing: Yellow Finn Raccoon with yellow holographic Flashabou
Collar: Red EP sparkle brush






No comments:

Post a Comment